Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Our Legacy Adventure...poor birds

Allen's job doesn't offer free flights or take us to many extravagant places, but it is nice to drive around in his car where ever we want to go. Allen has been wanting to take us on the Legacy Parkway for some time now. It isn't open yet, but they encourage Police Officers to drive on it to keep the public off of it. Sunday evening we piled in his car and took off north up towards Farmington. He has been driving it to and from work lately, so he knows where the bumps are. I do not know where the bumps are...so he likes to drive...hmm...above the speed limit...which the kids and I love, but not when we are unaware of what the road conditions are. As we were driving back home he got going a little fast and if you know the legacy area you know there are a lot of birds and animals around it that are not use to people driving more than 15 miles an hour. Allen and I looked in the median and all of a sudden about 20 little birds came flying out of the tall grass. "AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" I think we hit at least 5 of them and their little birdy guts were splattered all over the windshield...I thought we had a deal with them? A couple of them got stuck in the front of the car and would occasionally flop up on the windshield again and I would start screaming again. Then we heard them splat on the light bar on top of the car...ouch. So, maybe more than 5 birds met their demise on that beautiful Sunday evening. We sugar coated it a bit for the kids and told them that daddy scared the poop out of the birds and that was what was all over the windshield. They were okay with that.

Last night we took Legacy up to some friends house in Syracuse and tried looking for the remains, but they must have gotten cleaned up. My heart beat was going pretty fast on that drive. Allen couldn't tell which over ramp over I-15 took us to HWY 89 so he just guessed which one to take...I kept thinking, I really hope they have finished this ramp or we will meet our demise like the poor little birdies. Always an Adventure when Allen is in charge.

4 comments:

Draper's said...

How funny! The poor birds. Matt and I rode our bikes on the legacy trail all the way out to Farmington on Sunday. It was so much fun. Mo

Barnes Squad said...

I couldn't help but laugh through the whole post. I guess you gave those birds a wake up call of things to come. We were on it a few months ago and there were a lot more bumps and dips I thought I would deliver there in the patrol car. It is a rougher ride then the burb

Ute Family said...

That is soooo sad. I would have cried my eyes out. I just did a post about a cute mommy feeding her babies in a tree and you give me this. Way to ruin my day! LOL! Good cover up about the poop though. Smart thinking!

Draper's said...

LOL!!! Man, that was funny! Great story. Don't let the tree huggers find out about that - Matt