Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Nine Years have passed

I use to love the month of March. The flowers are all starting to bloom, Softball season was starting, the weather is usually so nice. After High School it seemed like everything horrible happened in March. My Older Sister passed away March 25, 1999...has it been 9 years? Why is it that when something horrible happens you remember every single detail like it was yesterday? Three months before Brenda died she went into to have fluid removed from around her heart and she felt so good! We were so excited for her and really thought she was going to conquer this ugly disease. On March 25th I had a doctors appointment in the morning and Brenda was going up to LDS hospital for another fluid removing procedure. Brenda told my mom to go with me to my appointment and my dad took Brenda. We told Brenda we would come up right after my appointment. As we were leaving my appointment both my mom and I felt this urgency to get to the hospital as fast as we could. By the time we got there they had already taken Brenda back. I remember hearing my dad tell my mom that Brenda had said that she really wanted to wait for mom and that she needed my mom. At this point they had her on 100% oxygen which was being supplied directly from the hospital. I remember walking into the waiting room and my Grandma Alice and my Aunt Allison were there, which I thought was strange. Shortly after, over the intercom we heard "code blue" and saw doctors and nurses running down a hallway, the same hallway they had taken Brenda. I think at that point I knew something was wrong. About 15 minutes later Brenda's nurse came out and was trying to open a private room to tell us the news. I remember my mom asking what was going on and I remember my grandma asking, "is she dead?" The nurse said yes! My mom fell to the ground and began kicking and screaming just like a child would do if they didn't get what they wanted. I remember trying to calm my mom and telling her that we were going to be alright, but the whole time thinking I must be dreaming. How could this be happening? I just talked to her 2 hours ago. The nurse finally got us into the room and my mom was still screaming hysterically. I thought my mom was going to faint and she may have, I was still dreaming. Nothing seemed real to me. I remember talking and crying, but it was like I had just had a root canal and nothing was coming out right. It was my job to call Chad and Tara. Chad was home from school and Tara was at softball practice. I called Chad and told him to go pick up Tara and come up to the hospital. I waited out by the elevators to talk to them because I didn't want to tell them in front of my parents and have them have to deal with that. I remember telling them that Brenda didn't have anymore problems and that she was perfect. Chad knew exactly what I meant and it took Tara a minute to realize what I was saying. She took off running and screaming down the hall. We chased after her to find her huddled in a corner rocking with her arms wrapped around her knees.
After some time in the hallway we met my parents in the small room and Brenda's doctor came in to tell us exactly what had happened. Since Brenda was on 100% oxygen they had to take her off to get her to the operating room. She passed out from lack of oxygen. They put her back on the machine, but it was too late. They tried to resuscitate, but nothing. They then opened up her chest and tried to massage her heart, but nothing. Brenda passed away quietly and with no pain.
Later on they took us to see her. They had her in a section of the hospital that I didn't even know existed. It is were they lay the deceased for their families to come and see. We walked in and saw her, but it wasn't really her, it was her body, but not my sister. I knew that her spirit was gone. We kissed her body goodbye. Mom didn't want to leave. The drive home was long and quiet. I think I drove home, but I can't remember exactly. I remember driving up our street and seeing neighbors outside bringing food up to us. How did they already know? People just watching us as we walked inside. People kept coming to the door all night to check on us and to bring us food and gifts. Chad disappeared for a while, we found him up on the roof sitting and crying. He was too manly to let everyone see him cry. I remember taking a sleeping pill that night, mom too.
Our family believes that Brenda had a mission on earth to get our family sealed in the temple. Which she did. We were sealed September 6, 1996, 2 1/2 years before she died. Saturday after her death we went to the funeral home to discuss her burial. We were all drawn to one casket and decided that was the one for her...we later learned the name of the casket was "The Mission." Her funeral was held at our Church and there were so many people there. They opened the overflow and the cultural hall and people were sitting on the stage in the back. My mom spoke, we had 4 friends speak and I spoke. There was also a musical number by Bonnie Harris, I can't remember the name of the song, I think it was Fly. Brenda had written in her journal that she wanted that song sung at her funeral. I hate that so many of the things she did are fading from my memory, she use to sit and cross stitch while watching her shows in the evening, her socks always hung 2 inches off her toes, she always wore these stretching pants and one leg was always pulled up higher than the other, we could always find her by following the oxygen cord, she liked to do her idea of workouts (twisting back and forth to get rid of the love handles). Brenda and I were the worst of friends growing up. We had nothing in common. I was tall and skinny and athletic, she was short and chubby and preferred reading books. About a year before she died we became the best of friends. We took institute classes together, went to the singles ward together. I am so happy that we were friends when she passed away, no regrets. I miss my big sista.

18 comments:

Andrea L. said...

Missy - your latest post really touched me. I remember that day because we were in the process of fixing up our house to move-into. Brenda was so excited to have Ryan as her neighbor. She cross-stiched Mitchell this beautiful poem when he was born. Brenda was such a sweet girl. Ryan has so many fond memories with her in high school and in the singles ward. Tell your ma and pa that we miss them a ton and hope that they are doing well. We wish you all the best at this tough time. We love and miss all of your family. Thanks for sharing this post - it was really sweet.

Jylaire said...

I love that you shared about your sister. I've heard you talk about her before, but it's always nice to hear more. It's amazing how quickly time goes by when we lose someone we love. Luckily, we have the knowledge of eternal families to get us through those difficult times! We miss you guys!

Kristi said...

I love hearing you talk(or to read) about your sister. Sounds like she definitely had a mission!

Staci said...

You are such a stronger person because of what you have experienced at such a young age. Your children are going to love reading this blog one day and when the time comes... they will feel just as close to their aunt as you did to your sister. I love that families are forever.

Anonymous said...

Missy,
You brought many tears of remembering great times with Brenda. She was an amazing person and I miss her so much. She did a great job of serving her mission here on earth.
I am so glad you tracked me down it has been fun watching your and Tara's blogs.
Thank you for sharing that day,

Joey and Nettifer said...

wow! that story is amazing and shows me how strong you are! what an amazing sister! i can't believe another year has gone. i remember reading your entry from last year and just crying. this was an incredible way to remember and for your kids to go back and read when they are older to understand. your family is incredible!

Sharon said...

I can't believe it's been nine years. My memory of Brenda was how excited your family would get when Brenda would arrive at the Golf Course. It was amazing to see how much love there was among you guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm so thankful for eternal families.

Nora Mair said...

It's amazing how you remember the vivid responses of an unexpected death but the trivial things--driving eating--are not even etched even though it was all at the same time. I always wondered what this experience was like. Thanks for sharing--I know you a little better now. March is rough.

Spencer family said...

Thank you for sharing. I hope that when someone close to me dies that I'll be able to say that I had no regets. That's awesome thing to be able to say!

Spencer family said...

Thank you for sharing. I hope that when someone close to me dies that I'll be able to say that I had no regets. That's awesome thing to be able to say!

just andrea said...

I'm not supposed to cry when I read your blog...I'm usually laughing hysterically! Thanks for sharing, how amazing to be sealed to our families so we can be w/ them again!!
by the way...thanks for watching me in primary having fun w/ my little best friend and doing NOTHING!!! haha! good times...

skousenscrolls said...

Thanks for sharing. How wonderful that you are sealed as a family forever.

nathansara said...

Thank you for your post and the cry that went along with it. It is defiantly important to have no regrets. I really appreciate the reminder to live my days to the fullest. Love ya! :)

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

I am totally bawling right now. I am so sorry for your loss. I too have my own month that I wish we could skip...my month is September. That's the month I lost my brother {4 1/2 years ago}.

This post is a great tribute to your sister...I can relate to the feeling of your heart hurting, terrified that you aren't going to remember all of the memories, and just aching for them to walk through the door! It just doesn't seem fair...does it?!?!?

Call me, I'll cry {or laugh} with you any time...any day!!!

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

I am totally bawling right now. I am so sorry for your loss. I too have my own month that I wish we could skip...my month is September. That's the month I lost my brother {4 1/2 years ago}.

This post is a great tribute to your sister...I can relate to the feeling of your heart hurting, terrified that you aren't going to remember all of the memories, and just aching for them to walk through the door! It just doesn't seem fair...does it?!?!?

Call me, I'll cry {or laugh} with you any time...any day!!!

Tara G. said...

It was good talking to you today.

you jerk...I am crying again. Growing up, I never asked for the entire story of Brenda's last day. I'm glad you wrote it all out because there were things in your post I didn't know about. I loved how you mentioned her stretchy pants and how her socks always hung away from her toes. I'm glad you guys loved each other and got so close in the end. Thanks for being so strong and for being my sister. T

Bellblogging said...

Wow, you are amazing! Thank goodness our families are forever! That was really touching, thanks for sharing!

Banham Luck! said...

Mis, I still go to see Brenda when I am in town for her birthday. I will never forget her kindness and love that she had for all. The other day I was cleaning out some boxes of books and I found a baggy with a folded green towel hand cross-stitched by Brenda and a little post it note stating "Christmas gift from Brena Miller, visiting teacher '98" I remember the phone call I got that day, I still cry (I am bawling now) for you and your family.
Love you Mis, Hugs to you and your family!