Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Big B!


Yesterday would've been my older sister Brenda's 32nd Birthday. I remember she always made a huge deal about her own birthday parties...every year she would have one. It was more like her birthday was a month long celebration. She loved having a summer birthday because she loved swimming and being in the pool just lounging. I was looking through my scrapbook and I have so many dorky pictures of us. She always had a way of making me, Chad and Tara do outrageous things. One year for Christmas we made my parents a video of us performing our own rendition of A Christmas Carol. Of course Brenda wrote, produced and Directed it and even made credits for it. She, of course, was the lead, Scrooge. I was Bobby Crotch itch...yes that is right...crotch itch. We would have done anything to make her laugh. We each were a different ghost, Chad wore a sleazy night gown or something when he was a ghost...because Brenda wanted him to. She would have loved to be around now when it is so easy to make movies with computers. My parents have a few "black mail" videos of us. I would love to change them to dvd for my kids to watch, anyone know how to do that? Another time I was Oprah Pond and I had a talk show. One of my guests had a few beauty secrets to share with me and ended up cracking a raw egg on my head, because Brenda told her that it only took 3 minutes to cook an egg all the way through. She also told her that I needed to put pickles on my eyes to help get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. I think the thing I miss the most about Brenda was her laugh. It wasn't just a contagious laugh that I liked so much, it was that her whole body shook up and down when she did it and that made me happy. There are a lot of things that I regret in life, one is that it took me and her so long to become friends. We fought so much when we were younger, we didn't have too much in common. She liked reading and cross-stitching and I liked sports and boys. It wasn't until about 2 years before she died that we really truly became great friends. I wish I would've had more times to tell her how much I loved her and admired her. She was an incredible person and until I found out that I had lupus and I felt the effects of it, I didn't really understand it. Happy Birthday Big B! We love you and miss you. See you Soon!

The article you requested is displayed below.
This is a copy of her obit, but I was hoping her picture would be on it, since I can't figure out what's wrong with my scanner to put a picture up of her.

THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE
Brenda Gaye Miller
Author(s): The Salt Lake Tribune Date: March 28, 1999 Page: C8 Section: Utah
Brenda Gaye Miller, age 23, passed away March 25, 1999 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was born August 28, 1975 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Stanley W. and Debbie G. Miller. Brenda Gaye Miller; daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, cousin and friend died after a long illness. She graduated from Granger High School in 1993. She also graduated from S. L. Community College with a degree as a Pharmacist Tech. Brenda was a member of the L.D.S. Church and held many positions. She also worked at the Jordan River Temple. Her mission here on earth was to make her family eternal, which she did. She was truly an angel here on earth and we will feel her presence always.

Brenda is survived by her parents; Stanley W. and Debbie G. Miller, sisters; Melissa Ann, Tara Lynn Miller and brother; Chad S. Miller. She is also survived by her grandparents; Dean A. and Alice Miller; also many aunts, uncles and cousins. Brenda was preceded in death by her grandparents; Fred and June Solomon and special uncle; Gary R. Solomon. The family wishes to thank family, friends and neighbors for their love and concern; and also Dr. Greg Elliot, Natalie and the staff at L.D.S. Hospital for their special care and friendship.

Funeral Services will be held Tues. March 30, 1999 at 12 noon at the Jordan North 2nd Ward, 4270 So. 4145 W. The family will receive friends Monday evening, March 29th at Valley View Funeral Home, 4335 W. 4100 So. from 6-8 p.m., and one hr. prior to the services on Tuesday at the church. Interment: Valley View Memorial Park

T 3/27N 3/30

(c) 1999 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. Reproduced with the permission of Media NewsGroup, Inc. by NewsBank, Inc.

17 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sure Brenda knows how much you love and admire her. I'm glad I had the chance to know her before she passed away! Reading this post made me think about how much more I need to cherish every relationship I have in my life...especially with my family.

Miles and Bex said...

What great memories of your sister. Cherish those memories! I am glad you blogged about her so we can all get to know her a little better.

Tara G. said...

That made me cry! Thanks for writing about Brenda. It waas so good to talk to you and Ellie the other day. Love, t

Tara G. said...

That made me cry! Thanks for writing about Brenda. It waas so good to talk to you and Ellie the other day. Love, t

ishybeanie said...

thanks you made me cry, Brenda sounds so fun Im glad you have such great memories of her.

Joey and Nettifer said...

Well nothing like a good cry in the morning (to bad I am sitting in my office :) ) What awesome memories you have of her. I feel like I got to look at a little precious piece of your life. Thank you so much for sharing that with us! I would love to see those videos and laugh.

Veronica said...

Wow, bad idea for an emotional pregnant wona to read this!! I am just bawling right now. It makes me want to call each of my 7 siblings and tell them what they mean to me. She sounded like an amazing person!!!

Ute Family said...

Wow, let's all just sit together and cry for a little while. Thanks Missy for sharing that. It makes me want to change a few things in my life. She sounds like a great person she knows how much you love her.

Kristi said...

You are so sweet. I love the christmas movie, that is so fun! What awesome memories! Thanks for the reminder to always cherish the realtionships we have.

Veronica said...

I also meant to mention that TODAY (Aug 30) is my parent's 32nd anniversary. So I guess a lot of good happened this time in 1975! BTW, Brenda looks a lot like you!

Tara G. said...

I forgot to mention, remember when Brenda wanted us to throw her a surprise birthday party? She had the location set up and everything!I miss that. Glad the picture worked.

Tara G. said...

I forgot to mention, remember when Brenda wanted us to throw her a surprise birthday party? She had the location set up and everything!I miss that. Glad the picture worked.

Bel said...

What sweet memories... I am so glad you were able to tell us about your sister because she seriously lives through you. I have been deeply touched and cried thinking about how hard is must be to not have here with you. But I sincerely think that you were very lucky and blessed to have had her as your sister for those amazing years. Thank you for reminding me how precious life is and putting things in perspective. Happy Birthday Brenda!!

Meagan said...

Happy Birthday Brenda! Thanks Missy for sharing the cute stories about your sister! I think I would have liked her! Your family is blessed to have her in it, and you too!! It was good seeing you guys today!!

Anonymous said...

Missy,
Brenda would have loved to Blog. Can you even imagine what hers would have looked like. I looked thru one of the albums of herself she made for me recently, she would have blogged daily. We are all better people for having Brenda in our lives as long as we did. Wow, I miss her. Happy B-day Brenda!

Heather Jones said...

I was reading along thinking how funny your stories were and then when I read she had passed away I felt so bad for you and had to read it again knowing that!! It is so good our memories stay alive!!!

Amy said...

What a great tribute to your sister! You really made me think more about my family and friends! Thank you!