Saturday, May 29, 2010

It has a name

Wednesday I went in to see Dr. Trowbridge again. The biopsy's came back and I have Ulcerative Colitis. The good news is that it finally has a name and we can now start to treat it appropriately. The bad news is that it is a life long disease. It is an auto-immune disease which is not related to the Lupus, just my luck, 2 auto-immune diseases. I wonder if I could just remove my insides all together. The doctor started me on an auto-suppressant, which is suppose to slow the immune system from attacking my colon. It takes 12 weeks for the medicine to take its full effect. At around 6 weeks I will stop taking my prednisone and I hope that the puffiness in my face will go away.

7 comments:

Ute Family said...

Oh my Missy, I am so sorry but like you said, it's better to have a name than to have that continuous guessing game wondering what the heck is going on with your body! Good luck with everything.

And way to go Carson on everything. Nice job on the reading improvement throughout the year! He seems like such a good kid...I mean, he's always perfect in Primary so I should've known :)

Unknown said...

yah for knowing what you have. I'm sorry that you'll have to have it for the rest of your life. hopefully the medicine will really, really help and not have any nasty side effects!

Joey and Nettifer said...

yeah for a name! Gesh about time! Glad they know how to treat it and hopefully keep it under control!

Erin said...

I'm glad they've finally figured out what is going on! Hopefully they can get things under control so you can start feeling better soon. I know how not fun Prednisone can be to take (Mike has been on a low dose since he was 18 and will probably be on it for life). Good luck with the treatment and hopefully you can start feeling better soon!

Bel said...

I am so glad they have a name but I am so sorry that its a life long disease :( It was so good to see you on Sunday. In the evening Bri put on her backpack and said she wanted to go to Miss Missy's school, she was happy to see you too, hehe!

Spencer family said...

Thanks for the update. Mark and I are thinking of you and your family. We sure hope that you can get back to a normally soon and start thinking of other things!

Melissa said...

I hate prednisone and the puffiness of everything. Sorry, but good luck.