Saturday, April 17, 2010

Where to begin?

I can't believe that it is already the 17th of April. While mom and I were visiting at the hospital today we decided we needed to write down the latest events. I can't remember a couple of the days, so I am hoping that with my mom's help we can get it all straightened out.

March 25-27 I felt like you know what! This is the weekend that I lost 8 pounds in less that 36 hours.
Tuesday, March 30th Mom took me up to the Instacare where the doctor told us that I was having renal failure (kidney) and sent us up to the LDS Hospital. I stayed there for two nights and they pumped me full of fluids to help rehydrate my body. I went home feeling alright. This is where the story gets complicated, for me anyways. Friday, the 2nd of April Allen took me to get a colonoscopy. The doctor came in and told us that He thought I might have a auto-immune disease in my colon. He sent us away with more lab work to be done. Over spring break we had planned on going up to Park City for a little family vacation, but I was just feeling lousy, so I sent 'Allen up with the kids so Mom and I could go to the clinic to get my blood work done.
April 7th, Ellie's birthday is really a blur to me. I can remember sitting in an underground parking lot while my mom went upstairs to find a clinic to get my blood drawn at. Then I remember telling my mom to just go to the slc clinic, we know there is a lab we can go to there. I got my blood drawn and then felt really light headed. My mom grabbed a wheelchair and scooted me up to one of the offices to get my blood pressure checked. I started puking and felt horrible and my blood pressure dropped to 54 over 24. The doctor that was in was a total jerk. After laying down for a little while my blood pressure went up to 74 over 54. At this time I just wanted to go home and be left alone.
Friday morning , April 9th, Allen took me up to the lds hospital again for a CT scan on my stomach. apparently I had made arrangements for my friend Heather to watch the kids, I don't even remember driving the kids over there. I remember that once we got to the dr.'s office I pretty much collapsed on the chairs, they wheeled me back for the scan, The next thing I remember is that someone was telling me to give my wedding ring to Allen because it wasn't going to fit. I was wisked up to the Intensive Care Unit where I was jabbed, poked prodded and anything else you can imagine. It was a completely dramatic experience. I can remember seeing faces, but not really being there. My mind told my body to go away so I wouldn't remember or feel anything. I was scared, not for myself but for my mom and dad. 'This is the exact same hospital where Brenda passed away and it was an eerie feeling. I remember this ancient chinese man trying to put iv's in my wrists and then 2 other doctors trying to get blood from my body. I was just so dehydrated that it was such a hard time to get any blood. Did you know that the ICU doesn't have a private bathroom? They have a pot in the corner with a curtain around it. I was pumped with 12 bags of fluids to help my kidneys. My creatine level, which measures the kidney function, was up to an 8. Normally mine is 1.2, so a jump of that high is large. They kept me in ICU from Friday until Sunday. Sunday my levels were coming back to normal, which was a huge deal.
Sunday, the 11th. I was moved into a regular hospital room. They diagnosed me with c-diff disease. You usually get it when you take bad antibiotics. Which I did take. I had left over from the year before from a sinus infection and I was so tired of feeling like crap, that I just took them, what could the harm be, Right? Instead of killing the bad bugs and leaving the good bugs the antibiotics killed all the bugs. My stomach is huge and bulching and I have bruises all over it. I have to get shots a few times a day in my stomach, I am taking prednisone and a bunch of other meds until we can get it all taken care of.
I am amazed at the human mind. I don't remember very much of being in the ICU, it was all very dreamy. It was a very traumatic thing and I don't think I would have wanted to remember much of it. My puffiness is starting to come down but I still don't feel like myself. I get exhausted over everything. The plan is to come home and take things very slowly. We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. My mom has been such a great supporter and has been Ellie and Carson' surrogate mom while I have been away. Allen is a huge help. It has been keeping up with all the chores and all the mom responsibilities. Our neighbors have been amazing. I imagine my children have taken on the role of the wandering children of the neighborhood. They came up to visit me today and they both looked like little orphaned children. I miss my family and my house, but hope to be home soon. I can't believe how much I am loved. Heather who tackled Ellie's birthday party with my mom, you aer amazing and I can't believe what a great friend you have become to me the last few months. Thanks for everyone else who have called and sent flowers. I love you all.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow Missy. I am so sorry. Take care of yourself. I'm glad you have friends close to you to help you and your family out.

The Zouns said...

O my goodness, I am so glad you are doing better. I feel for you mom handling this all in the same hospital. I hope you are home with your family soon, and feeling LOTS better.

Tara G. said...

Hi Mehe,
I tried to call the other night to see how you were doing but the phone kept ringing. I will try and call today. I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. Thank goodness mom and dad are so supportive and stepping in to help so much. SOunds like Allen has been amazing too. Love you.

ishybeanie said...

im so glad you are on the mend. i am looking through my medicine cabinet right now to through away some old antibiotics.

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am so sorry this happened to you! I am glad you are doing better. We were happy to have Ellie play at our house the other day. Send her over anytime. We love her!
Let me know if you need anything!

Heather Jones said...

I can not believe all of this has happened from bad medicine! I will never take old meds thanks for learning for all of us!!! I am so glad you are doing better and have so much support. I will be checking for updates and send ellie over anytime PLEASE!

SharonandScott said...

Missy so glad you are doing better, Tommy has been praying for his teacher Miss Missy to get better!

Korey and Brandi said...

Missy I am so sorry you have had to gone through all this! get better soon you are in my prayers!!

Bel said...

So sorry you have been going through such difficult times :( But I am glad they know what is wrong now and you are on the path to healing. Let me know if there is ANYTHING you need.

Mindy said...

Hi Missy! I am so sorry you are going through all this! If you need anything call me!!! I am a nurse you know :)... I have tuesday and thursdays off- so if you need anything- even if it is just to keep carson and ellie busy so they are not bored- let me know. I can always take them for a day of fun!

Miles and Bex said...

I hope you continue to get better. I never knew that about antibiotics. Time to throw my left overs away.

Hakuna Matata said...

I hope you get better soon!!! Just want you to know I'm thinking of you and believe it or not, my prayers as well! Love you!

The Barker Family said...

Miss! YOu poor thing! My dad was diagnosed with C-diff last month. . it took them over a month to diagnose tho. He suffered like that forever. . .so I know exactly what you had to go through! I am so so sorry! call me if I can help! 801-712-3237 Love you girl!

The Barker Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.