Monday, May 18, 2009

The never ending cold

It seems like every winter/spring I get a cold/cough that never seems to go away. I have managed to just deal with it in the past, but this year was completely different. A week ago today I had a normal day, I taught my two preschool classes and then gave my friend and her girls a ride home (they had a little car trouble). As soon as I walked back in our house I felt like my body was about to give out on me. I told the kids I had to go and lay down for a minute. My mom came up to take Ellie and ended up taking Carson too. She was going to bring Carson back up the next morning for school, but I was so sick by then that I told her to just keep the kids. By the evening time my ribs and my back hurt so bad. I thought for sure that my ribs were broken. I didn't sleep at all that night and by morning I was vomiting. I called my doctor and made an appointment for 9:45 a.m. but by 9:00 a.m. when I was still vomiting and not able to take a full breath in or out I had to cancel because there was no way I was going to be able to drive there. Allen was able to get off of work for a little bit and came and picked me up and stay with me at the doctors. I was so tired and I hurt so bad that every time I gave the doctor an answer I started crying. Then the doctor started poking and listening to me. I started feeling weak and nausea and so she told me to lay down. I layed down on my left side, which is the side that hurt, so then the feeling of vomiting came rushing back and the doctor ran out of the room for a bag to puke in. She sent us to get some x-rays and you would have thought that I had just run a marathon. I couldn't take a full breath in or out, I was on the verge of panic. That is the worst feeling! The x-rays showed I had pneumonia on the left side, so the doctor sent us home with antibiotics and something to help with the nausea. I don't remember any of Tuesday evening through Thursday morning. Allen and my parents have been amazing. Allen has taken work off to help with the kids and the house and my parents have taken the kids and done laundry and kept up on dishes. How blessed I am to have such helpful, caring and self-less parents. They never wait to come and help or to be invited to help, they just come and do whatever needs to be done. I am finally starting to feel somewhat back to normal. Today was the first day without someone helping me. I do have a cute friend helping with preschool. She substituted for me on Friday and Today and I have her planned to sub the remainder of the week, just in case. Ellie went to both classes today and I actually cleaned the kitchen a little bit. I wanted to venture to Target today, but think I will have to wait on that. I can't hear out of one of my ears, so I go back in tomorrow to see about that. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have some energy back and all my hearing back.

7 comments:

Heather Jones said...

Missy I am so sorry that sounds aweful! I did not know it made people feel that sick!! Please let me know if you need anything and if you want me to take Ellie wed. I will call you tomarrow to see if you want me to take ellie TUESDAY NIGHT for dance. Hope you keep feeling better.

Audrey said...

Oh, my goodness! That's horrible! I'm so sorry you've been sick. Hopefully you'll be doing better soon.

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, I'm glad your feeling better!

skousenscrolls said...

I'm sorry to hear you got pnuemonia. My sister got it the end of March/beginning of April and the same thing happened to her. They first thought it was strep, but it just got worse. Glad you have the help you need. Hope you get well soon!

Tara G. said...

Freak, you poor thing! It sounds like you are doing a lot better now, other than being deaf in one ear :0 Love you and can't wait to see you!

nathansara said...

Good grief. I hope you are feeling some what better by now. Take care. :)

sweet pickles said...

That is the worst. It totally takes everything out of you for weeks. Hope you continue to feel better.